Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Filament Spool Holder

One of the nice things about creating an account at Thingiverse is that you can join different groups. I found a group of people who all have the same printer I have and it's been a really good resource. For example, user named redcat created this interesting low-friction filament spool holder. 

You need to print two copies of this model and add 4 skateboard bearings. Because this "hooks" into the back frame of the printer, I imagine it only works for specific printer models, but I really like how the filament hangs directly over the nozzle and how easily the spool spins as the filament is being fed into the printer. 



With this model, I learned that different slicing programs can actually create different print jobs. For example, the first piece that printed actually had half of one of the holes blocked with plastic. Look at the bottom left hole in the image below. I contact redcat and he said that in his slicing software that didn't happen.

The first time I printed this I ended up using an Xact-o knife to clear the hole out. For the second piece I imported the model into Tinkercad and hollowed out the hole before sending it to Cura. 

No comments:

Post a Comment