Saturday, January 21, 2017

Working With File Types

There are three files types I've worked with in using my 3D printer so far: STL, OBJ, and GCODE. I listed some software resources you can use to create 3d objects on the right side of this blog. The software you use to create 3D images will store the file on your computer in either a .STL or .OBJ file format. STL stands for stereolithography, and I assume OBJ stands for "object" -- very original.

3D printers don't use these file types because they don't contain information about printer type, filament diameter, or how densely you want it printed. To print your 3D image, it needs to be "sliced" by a program specifically written for 3D printing.

I've been using Cura and it works really well. Here is a screenshot I made with the whistle STL file loaded:



Note that Cura lets you customize just about every setting imaginable.

On the right side of the screen you can see basic settings. I usually use "Custom" settings. With this printer I discovered you don't really need to heat the print bed for using PLA filament--this would have been nice to know since I had already spent $45 to replace the heating bed. Make sure you set your settings to the correct diameter of filament.

At the bottom of the screen Cura gives you an estimate of how long it will take to print, and even the length of filament that it will take to print your object. I've found the time estimate to be pretty accurate for small print jobs, but larger prints make take up to an additional 60 minutes.

When you have the settings set correctly, click the 'Save to File' button at the bottom right. This file is created in the GCODE format. Copy it onto an SD card, pop it into the printer, and you are ready to start printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment