Saturday, January 21, 2017

Whistle

The nice thing about having a busted printer is that I had a solid two weeks to look for new things to print. I wanted to pick some that were both functional and cool to look at. I settled on this beauty for my next one:

Here's a link to the files so you can print your own: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1179160.

I was very disappointed with the quality of my first attempt to print this model. There were gaps all throughout the printed whistle and not it not only didn't make a whistling sound, it was generally ugly. I regret not taking a picture for this blog before throwing it away, but the lesson I learned from this print was to make sure your filament settings are correct in Cura. The default for Cura was filament of 2.75mm diameter. Since I was actually using 1.75mm filament the printer should have been laying down filament much closer together. This was my error, not Cura's or the printer.

Here's a video I made mid-way through the print: And here's the final product:

No comments:

Post a Comment