Saturday, January 21, 2017

Preparing to Print and Cleaning up When Done

I probably should have posted this sooner, but there are a few steps I follow when getting the printer ready to print. I've already written about calibrating the height of the print bed, but there are actually a few more steps to get ready for printing. I also wanted to share how I clean up when my print job is done.
Using the knob on the front of the printer you can access the "Prepare" menu options. This is where I do most of my prep work. For calibrating the print bed, I always use the "Disable steppers" option. This allows you to move the print bed forward and backward, as well as moving the nozzle left and right. When you have an active print job, you can't move these pieces freely by hand, and so you have to disable the steppers if you need to move things around after starting to print, but I like to tell myself that always clicking on the disable stepper option will make extend the life of the printer motors.
When you start to print your object, it won't start until the nozzle has reached the desired temperature, about 200°C. Since that takes a while, I actually like to have the nozzle preheating while I'm calibrating the print bed (watch out that you don't burn yourself on the nozzle!). The preheat PLA option is under the "Prepare" settings on the printer.
After setting the bed to the correct height and starting the preheat the nozzle process, I set up the filament spool. This printer actually comes with a spool holder, but I much prefer this solution:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1146658
You have to print two of these and supply your own skateboard bearings (see the link to the right), but this creates a low friction solution for feeding filament into the printer.

When the printer is done, the print nozzle goes back to its starting X and Y location and starts to cool down. You'll need to store your filament in a dry location, and you can't pull the filament out of the nozzle if the nozzle is cold, and so I suggest two options for removing the filament from the nozzle:
1) Pull it out the top while the nozzle is still hot. On this printer you just push down on the silver colored flat part near where the filament enters on the top and then pull the filament. You can do this right after printing, or go back under the "Prepare" menu and reheat the PLA.
2) If the nozzle is cold, sometimes I'll use scissors to snip the filament off about an inch above where it enters the nozzle and just leave it in there until I preheat the nozzle for my next print. I've read that if there is a lot of humidity, the PLA will absorb moisture and expand, and I don't think you'll want that to happen while it's inside the nozzle, and so I wouldn't leave a piece of filament in the nozzle for more than a day.
After sealing the spool of filament back into its dry and airtight container, I just turn the printer off and it's done. I've been meaning to get a dust cover for when the printer isn't being used, but I haven't found one yet.

1 comment:

  1. 3D laser scanning service is very popular for BIM modeling. Because 3D laser provides the most accurate date of the project and these data helps to create the BIM model easily. 3d modeling services Grand Prarie , Alberta

    ReplyDelete